In 2012, a group of former Queens created a 501 (c) (3) foundation to enhance the educational and athletic opportunities of the Flying Queens basketball program. The foundation provides financial support and enjoys a camaraderie with players and coaches and does so following all NAIA and Sooner Athletic Conference rules.
Since then, these women have made financial gifts, organized fundraisers, attended games at Wayland and away, organized team meals and receptions at home games, and spent years advocating for the Wayland Baptist Flying Queens’ inclusion in the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame.
The success in getting the Flying Queens program inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 2019 was a historic moment, but it wasn’t long before the Foundation Board and others started thinking about the future. To that end, the Board voted in 2020 to expand the Foundation’s mission to include honoring the Flying Queens’ historical legacy and strengthening the Foundation’s financial future to ensure continued support for the Flying Queens program.
Today, the Hutcherson Flying Queens Foundation remains committed first and foremost to enhancing the current Flying Queens program and looks forward to enhancing and expanding awareness of one of the nation’s historic women’s college basketball programs.
The Foundation is governed by a set of bylaws and a code of ethics that guides the work of a 16-member Board of Directors from whom seven officers are elected. Board meetings are held quarterly along with an annual member meeting.
· 2013 – Provided funds for a trip to California to play in a tournament.
· 2014 – Purchased basketball software to help the coaches with scouting other teams.
· 2015 -Provided funds to allow the Flying Queens to fly to Great Falls, Montana to play in a tournament with other highly rated NAIA teams and get needed tough playing experience before beginning conference play.
· 2015 – Provided funds to assist with the completion of the documentary film: Flying Queens: A Basketball Dynasty. The film highlights the impact the Flying Queens team has had on women’s basketball and on the lives of so many young women who have played on the team. It is important for the past, present and future of the Flying Queens.
· 2016 – Provided funds team t-shirts to wear during the National Tournament.
· 2016 – Provided funds to allow the Flying Queens to fly to Las Vegas, and compete in the Las Vegas Hoopla.
· 2017 – Provided funds for the Flying Queens team to fly to Hawaii for a Christmas Tournament.
· 2018 – Provided funds for the Flying Queens team to fly to California to play top ranked teams.
· 2019 – Provided funds to fly the Flying Queens to Tennessee to play nationally-ranked teams.
· 2021 – Provided funds to fly the Flying Queens to Iowa to play nationally-ranked teams
If you have a tie to the Flying Queens women’s basketball program; have an affinity for former and current players; enjoyed, or still enjoy, following the team, there is a place for you as a member of the Hutcherson Flying Queens Foundation!
We would love to have you join us in supporting the Flying Queens. You can join as a Foundation Member, Foundation Voting Member, Foundation Associate, or Legacy Donor. For more information and to see which level fits you, go to our Membership page.